Friday, July 16, 2010

Today's topic is pets!

As you will notice, today I put pictures of two of the most terrifying animals in Delaware on this page - I speak of my two dogs, Pebbles and Bam-Bam, although they are backwards in the picture (Bam-Bam is on the left).  It just sounds better to say Pebbles and Bam-Bam rather than the other way around.  One of these days maybe I'll do a post on why some words sound better a certain way...hmm.

Anyway, the reason they are the terror of Delaware is because a few months ago the UPS driver refused to get out of his truck while they were outside on the lawn, uh, taking care of their business.  Keep in mind they weigh about 15 lbs. and are only about 18" high.  Their legs are about 6 inches long so they can't really run that fast.  However, the driver was scared. 

This was laughable because Pebbles is extremely timid and Bam-Bam freezes in place and kind of cowers when he is confronted.  I expect that is my fault as I have kept them isolated from other dogs and people, but only because I really care about them.  It is the first time I have had two Poms at once, but they are good company for each other and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

However, some people do not deserve to have pets.  Below is a clipping from the news about a house that was raided, the woman was a hoarder, and also had the following.

The place was full of feces, urine, parasites, and a whole lot of animals, dead and alive, according to authorities. As Licenses and Inspections condemned the Olney home as unfit for human habitation the Pennsylvania SPCA spent over six hours removing animals. This is one of the worst houses I've been in when you take into account the dead cats. It's ridiculous," said George Bengal of the PSPCA. Fifty dead animals, investigators say including cats, dogs, a pelican and even a fox retrieved from the basement freezer. As for live animals authorities carted out approximately 56 cats, 20 chinchillas, seven dogs, and 18 pigeons inside and around the backyard.  The woman, get this, was upset claiming her rights were violated and she cared for all the animals.

How can you call that caring when the place is unfit for habitation and is infested with germs?  And today, in South Philadelphia, 100 Chihuahuas were removed from another house, a 3-story rowhome.  These dogs appeared healthy but there was an overwhelming amount of feces which made it unfit for a human to live in, let alone animals.

I'm sorry, but I take care of two dogs and they are a handful sometimes.  I give them the love they deserve and feel that they appreciate it.  But would I be able to love 100 animals?  No, I would feel I was neglecting them all because I would be unable to give each one the attention and affection they deserve.

Last week I went by a Wawa in Bel Air, MD.   I filled up my car, which took about 5 minutes, and the entire time there was a dog barking nearby.  I followed the sound to a pickup truck which was parked in the sun, with the windows rolled up 90% of the way, with the dog inside.  The humidity level was high and the temperature that day was around 92 degrees.  Inside the truck it had to be over 100 degrees.  I promptly called the SPCA, as the Bel Air Police Dept. and the Harford County Sheriff's Department are inept, and asked them to please do something.  I furnished a vehicle description and license plate number.  The entire time I was there nobody approached the truck and that poor dog never stopped barking.  Hopefully somebody arrived in time.

What is wrong with people?  Having a pet is a responsibility and a privilege.  If you want to have one, fine, take care of it.  If you want to have more than one, be responsible and make sure you can give them the attention they deserve.  But don't let it get out of hand.  Report those people you feel are unfit pet owners, the animals will be better off, and that is worth more than having the abuser mad at you.

Remember the old saying about dogs, they're man's best friend.  We need to remedy that, make it apply to all animals and not be so male oriented.  A friend of mine loves cats and cares for hers as well as the ones she finds homes for.  Both men and women love pets, the animals love their owners and trust them to take care of them, and everyone benefits from the association.  It all comes down to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment