Thursday, July 22, 2010

Schedules and Spontaneity

It occurred to me, with a little help from a friend, that sometimes we need to take a break from our daily schedule and find time for personal enjoyment.  I know that I tend to fall into that Monday through Friday, 9-5 routine.  I would go to work at 8:30, take my lunch from 1-2, at 4:30 do the mail, and at 5:00 leave for the day.  Then after arriving at home, I would plan to watch Jeapordy from 7 - 7:30 with Mom, and then the rest of the night would be unplanned.  On Saturday and Sunday I would play it by ear, see what happens, then get ready for Monday through Friday again.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize the need for a work schedule, and I enjoy spending time with Mom.  I strive for punctuality, I feel it's rude to be late for things and keep other people waiting.  But I also feel the need to just be spontaneous, it relaxes me and leaves me open for possibilities.  Living our life according to a schedule can be stressful.  Every detail of life can't be planned, you would miss out on so much.

For some it's easier than others, there are family obligations, bills, school events, etc.  For a single person it's easier to be spontaneous than a married person.  But there is so much stress in the world today, sometimes it's worth it to take a break from routine, even if it's just deciding to stop on the spur of the moment for a water ice, or to take a short walk in a park. 

So all my friends, please take a moment to stop and think about this, and take a break from routine once in a while and relax and have fun.  Stress can affect your health and I want all my friends to live long and healthy lives, otherwise who will read all these posts?

1 comment:

  1. I read it and yes, it's hard to be spontaneous, especially after the kids. I have no regrets mind you, but I wish it we're just a little easier to do the me time thing. I've come to the conclusion that you take what you can, when you can after the family is taken care of and the other obligations. I think my friends and family understand too that there's lots of stuff I'd like to do with them but those moments aren't easy to plan anymore. But I'll still take what I can get, a tiny bit here and a little less there. Every "little bit" counts though, in my book.

    ReplyDelete