Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why?

One of my cousin's was driving me crazy one night, we went to go see a movie, I can't remember which movie it was but trust me, it was bad. May have been Transformers 2. Anyway, he kept saying, "Why?" every time he saw something stupid, like "Why do they insult our intelligence and make something with a stupid element like this in it?"

Anyway, I've been asking myself "Why?" for the past few weeks. It's amazing what that 3-letter word can say all by itself. There are actually a lot of words like that. "Oh" is another one, it can end a conversation, depending on the tone it can be a question, a comment, even derogatory.

Have you noticed how America tends to complicate everything needlessly? Look at any legal document, tax forms, even warranty information included in a box with a $9.96 watch from Wal-Mart has one page of instructions you can barely read and about 4 pages of information that to my knowledge nobody has ever read in it's entirety.

Over a hundred years ago you could buy someone's property in the Old West with 50 gold pieces and a handshake, maybe a note saying, " I sold John Smith here my place on June 5, 1875" and that was it. Now it takes a group of people including realtors, lawyers, inspectors, title workers, etc. to do that and it can take up to 4 weeks to get it all together.

If someone stole your horse (which was your transportation, your means to make a living, your friend, even a tool you used around the ranch), and they caught the guy, they hung him. Pure and simple. Now if someone steals your car, you have to file police reports, insurance claims, go to court, wait for the appeals process, fill out forms to get your car from impound, and maybe even get a lawyer if the poor thief cut himself on a soda tab you left in there and sues you for endangering his life!

If somebody stole something from a store or person, they might cut off his hand. Sounds to me like a good preventative measure to keep someone from stealing again! If he was stupid enough to steal twice, hope he has a real patient significant other to wait on him. Today, again, there are reports, forms, courts, trials, lawyers, etc. until you would rather grab a gun, shoot the thief, and take YOUR chances with the court system!

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but we need to simplify things in this country, we are just getting too bogged down in details anymore. If things were easier, think how much more quickly we could get things accomplished! I really yearn for simpler times - if I had my way, and won the lottery, I would have a nice little cabin on a mountain somewhere and could be happy with my books, music, dogs, and fishing rod.

What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment