Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Do you know somebody?

If I asked you if you know somebody, you would probably look at me like I'm an idiot and say, "Of course I know somebody, I know a lot of people!" But then I would say to you, "You may know a lot of people, but how many of them do you really know? Think about the word "know" because your meaning and mine are two different things."

So how well do you know the people in your life? Is it just a casual acquaintance for the most part, or do you take the time and trouble to really get to know them. I think that is one of the biggest problems I have. The few friends I have are people that I have focused on and really have an understanding of, and that's why I value those friends so highly. And they, in turn, have been able to know the real me.

I am lucky to know people like that, the kind that take the time to get to know people and understand them. That to me is what really strengthens a friendship. In times of stress and trouble you know that you can count on them to be there for you, as they know I would be there for them.

We tend to take friendship too casually these days. Most of the people I worked with were casual friends, I would see them at work but never after work. Usually everyone would go their separate ways. As a result I would have to look forward to going home to my dogs and books. It would have been nice to have people to hang out with, go to ball games with, whatever, but it didn't happen.

That is why I'm alone today, except for a few special friends I can count on for support and guidance when I need someone to talk to. I think I would rather have a few friends like that then a large number of people I barely know. It would still be nice to get out with a group and do things but I would rather invest the time into getting to really know just a few people that I could share things with.

I value friendship very highly and try to let the special people in my life know that. I hope that all of you look at your friends and let the special ones know how much they matter to you too.

Thank you, my friends, for what you mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment